Honey Beige Dimension using Pintura Highlightsfeaturing Clairol Professional
Does highlighting textured hair make you nervous? Do you worry about damaging the hair structure or compromising the natural curl pattern?
Clairol Professional Top Artist Oliver Adams (aka @KolorKing) says you shouldn’t. Using this Pintura Highlights technique with Shimmer Lights new Plex Lightener, you’ll be able to give your curly-haired clients beautiful blonde tones and bold pops of color - all without damage to their gorgeous texture!
A bonus? “Clients like when you can service their hair in its natural state,” says Oliver. “With Pintura Highlights, you can cater to clients with naturally textured hair - customizing their highlights and special effects based on their texture.”
Ready to see how it’s done? Here’s Oliver’s color formula, application steps and tried and true Pintura tips and tricks!
Starting Level: 6/7
Formula A: Shimmer Lights Plex Lightener + Shimmer Lights Cream Developer (20-volume) (1:2)
Formula B: Shimmer Lights Cream Developer (10-volume) + Shimmer Lights Permanent Cream Toner (Cool Beige) (2:1)
Pintura Highlights Tips & tricks
- Pintura is all about working with the natural texture of the hair, so ask your clients to come in with their hair exactly how they normally wear it!
- When you mix your lightener, consistency is key, and a runny texture is a no-no. Oliver’s rule of thumb? You should be able to move your brush around without product dripping. If it drips, it’s not thick enough!
- Remember to section out about a 1/2-inch from the hairline for the most natural-looking color (and to avoid damaging fine baby hair!) When coloring curls, never pull the hair so tight that you can’t see the curl personality in each of the sections. The curls help you determine where to place the color! To maximize your dimension and the natural feel of the highlights, you want to take sections that have a variety of curl patterns and sizes.
- Take each section and bring it into a V shape. Apply the lightener from mid-shafts to ends, making sure not to get too close to the root for a lived-in, balayage effect. Use vertical strokes to avoid any lines of demarcation. Pro tip: Oliver likes to hold his sections vertically and paint upward
- When working on the sides and back, section on a diagonal, which creates more movement.
Color Formula Application
1. Starting in the front, apply Formula A using a Pintura Highlights technique. Process for 30 minutes for a honey blonde and 40 minutes for a lighter blonde, with no heat.
2. Rinse (do not shampoo) and apply Shimmer Lights Plex Treatment. Then rinse, shampoo and condition.
3. On towel-dried hair, apply Formula B from mid-shafts to ends, working in 1-inch sections and making sure to saturate completely. The consistency of this formula should be a little runnier than Formula A. Pro tip: You can bump up your developer to 20-volume for a little extra lift (about 1 level) to make your highlights pop a bit more.
4. Process for 10 to 20 minutes, then rinse and style as desired.
What Should You Charge for Pintura Highlights?
Oliver charges $250+ both in his Las Vegas and Atlanta salons, and this includes the Shimmer Lights Plex Treatment and styling, but he will add on for corrective color services.
How Long Should You Book for Pintura Highlights?
Oliver allows 2 to 2.5 hours for a Pintura service.
Watch Oliver’s Full Process!