It’s a great tool for salon
social media marketing!
Instagram with its millions of users is a versatile tool for salon social media marketing. It’s the perfect way to share photos and videos of your salon, products, services and skills. By engaging clients, friends and other followers on Instagram, you can spread the word about your salon or spa. Show off a hot new hairstyle, client makeover or intriguing nail art! One post could make an immediate impression that boosts your brand and your business.
- Creating timely, compelling posts.
- Engaging followers with content that has value or offers solutions.
- Establishing trust with followers as you share expertise.
- Post frequently.
- Respond to questions and comments.
- Tell everyone you’re on Instagram!
Build Your Salon
Brand on Instagram
Set Up Your Profile - Open an account and complete your business profile. Be sure to include salon information on Instagram to build your brand, such as location and hours.
Find Your Voice - Tell users about what makes your salon or services unique, speaking conversationally and authentically. Create a custom hashtag with your salon name.
Make It Visual - Share attractive, fun or compelling photos to spark interest about what’s happening in your salon.
Engage Your Audience - Make your spa or salon stand out on Instagram by running contests, giveaways and specials for followers. Offer tips on hair styling, nail care or product use.
Instagram doesn't have a way to “regram” or repost photos and videos. So you’ll need to turn to a third-party app, such as Regram and Repost. These apps let you share content, while giving credit to the person who posted originally.
Use Instagram Features for Beauty SalonsMaximize your salon’s Instagram opportunities by learning about the platform’s key features.
HashtagsYou’ll want to add a hashtag to your post in the caption or comments section. Hashtags on a public post mean it’s seen on a corresponding hashtag page. You can use up to 30 hashtags, but simpler is better, and each one should have a connection to the post. For example, you could do # with the name of a shampoo, or the name of your city.
StoriesTell the story behind your photos. Instagram Stories lets you share multiple photos and videos posted in a slideshow format that disappears after 24 hours. (Save your salon Stories on Instagram with the Highlights feature.) You can add emoticons, text and drawings to image sequences. To see a story, users simply tap on your profile photo.
VideosLike photos, videos leave an impression. Since Instagram limits video to one minute, apps like InShot can help you edit before posting. For dramatic effect, you can also share a carousel post of up to 10 photos or videos that are part of a single event. To publish quality salon videos that are longer than 60 seconds, take a look at the IGTV app, accessible through the Instagram app.
Apps for InstagramUsing downloaded apps, you can add mirror effects, filters and frames to photos. Apps like MirrorPic Photo Mirror support the creation of visual illusions to share or save. The Instagram Layout app helps you add cool effects while making photo collages. Logos or text in various fonts can be placed on photos with apps like PhotoMarks.
Here are some ways to enhance your salon Instagram profile
Take good photosIt’s important to post crisp, clear salon photos on Instagram.
- Consider investing in a good camera.
- Make sure subjects are in focus.
- Take more than one photo if possible.
- Test shots around the salon to find the best lighting.
- Play around with indirect natural light.
- Vary the types of photos and subjects captured.
Include your teamProfessionals make the salon run, so they should be included in your salon social media.
- Share striking hair color results, mentioning your color expert.
- Introduce a professional who’s joined the salon.
- Find out which team members have their own feeds and what they’re posting.
- Periodically like and comment on posts within your network.
Show your skillsVisual images, such as before and after hairstyle or makeup photos, showcase your skills and highlight trendy looks. Instagram is also ideal for seasonal posts. You can feature updos during the holidays or short styles to beat the summer heat.
Post uniquely to each platformYou’re able to connect your Facebook and Twitter accounts, but try to share unique content on each platform. A client could follow you on both.
Involve your clientsAsk clients if they would like to have a salon photo taken, and have them sign a model release. Tell them how the photo will be used. Clients may also want to take selfies of their styles and share them on their feeds.
Set Up a Salon Selfie StationSalon selfies are visual testimonials that boost your Instagram profile! So make it simple for your clients to take and share photos by setting up a salon selfie station. Create a special space for customers to capture a photo of their trending style, hair color or makeover. The station will encourage clients to post photos that include the stylist’s and salon’s name. Consider these tips when setting up a station:
- Choose a location with natural light or use light bulbs with a natural color temperature. If your salon has the ability to dim its bright lights, make use of this when lights are overpowering.
Set up a dimmable ring light on an adjustable stand. It adds a soft glow around the face when the subject is standing or seated in front of it.
- Use a white wall as a background or order an attractive backdrop.
- Have your background feature a logo, business name or salon hashtag. This information can be displayed as a sign, wall art or a logo on a backdrop.
- Put props in the station for fun or dramatic photos. Make device holders available.
If space doesn’t allow a selfie station in the salon, place a small sign in your booth with your Instagram handle - a chalkboard one could be a fun option. Or encourage clients to show off their style with mirror selfies. When clients take and post photos themselves, you can skip the model release form. However, if you take the photo and post it on your feed, a release form is required.