“...itʼs about unity. Itʼs about taking action, doing more and loving people when they need it the most.” - The BeYOUtiful Foundation
As a stylist, giving your clients a fresh cut, color, texture, blow out, or product gives them the confidence they need to hold their head of hair up high. Nothing quite matches the glow on clients’ faces when they turn around in your chair and see their new hairstyle, complete with the care and attention you’ve so precisely worked into each strand.
Cancer patients are forced to give up this new-do-boost as they submit their bodies to chemotherapy and lose their natural hair, stripping away a vital piece of their sense of identity. Licensed beauty professionals have the necessary skills and power to aid cancer patients in gaining back a sliver of control and normalcy through the BeYOUtiful Foundation.
The BeYOUtiful Foundation recognized the loss that occurs beyond physical hair upheaval that many chemo patients suffer through and were compelled to make a positive change. Founder and Non-Profit Organization (NPO) expert, Matt Coulter, came up with the idea for the BeYOUtiful Foundation in the middle of the night, reaching out to co-founders and close friends, Nikki Lee and Riawna Capri, for professional beauty guidance. At the crack of dawn, through collaboration, creativity, and kind hearts, the BeYOUtiful Foundation was born. The nonprofit operates out of Los Angeles, sending love, healing, and hair to any champion who wants to feel absolutely beYOUtiful throughout their cancer journey.
The kindness in Coulter, Lee, and Capri's hearts continues to create a ripple effect in the cancer community. Coulter attributes this to “each and every person and family we’ve connected with,” empathy, and human nature: “The human spirit is a crazy thing, the people and stories we connect with day in and day out has humbled us beyond words but excites us to do more.”
In the opening statement of their website, the BeYOUtiful Foundation emphasizes their commitment “to making sure every little girl, young lady, business woman and/or supermom gets the support she needs” to tackle her battle with cancer. Most of us, having been personally touched by cancer in one way, shape, or form, are aware of the toll cancer can take on these superwomen. The BeYOUtiful Foundation seeks a change from this mere awareness, inspiring all of us to turn acknowledgement into action: “The biggest most important thing about our foundation is taking ACTION!!! It’s nearly 2020. We all know what cancer is, it’s time to stand up and fight for others.”
Change is made possible through the BeYOUtiful Foundation’s hair donation program, salon services, and the presence of a loving, hopeful community. This community allows all of us -- cancer patients, survivors, and those who simply yearn to spread love -- to band together and fight “to be bigger, better and ultimately love on more people.” Coulter and founders accentuate this notion by circulating the hashtag #bettertogether.
1. Donate your BeYOUtiful hair to be made into a hairpiece or wig for chemo patients by clicking here.
2. Calling all beauty professionals! Volunteer your expertise and services and become a BeYOUtiful Stylist here.
3. Own a hair salon? Jumpstart a philanthropic initiative in your community! Register your salon to designate a “BeYOUtiful Day” to donating your time and resources to cancer patients, survivors, and those who donate their hair here.
4. If you or a loved one could benefit from the foundation’s services, sign up on the site to get started and network as a new member of the BeYOUtiful community.
5. Have a story to share about your cancer journey or simply seeking support from other cancer survivors? Submit your story or peruse the ongoing “Wonder Woman” blog here.
6. If you’re looking to inspire others by publicizing your support, visit the BeYOUtiful shop to purchase some merch. 100% of the proceeds go towards initiatives to assist survivors.
7. Make a one time or recurring monetary donation to the BeYOUtiful Foundation by contributing here.
With a little time and generosity from beauty professionals like you, we can make women in our communities look and feel BeYOUtiful as they battle cancer and hair loss. For additional information and upcoming events, visit the BeYOUtiful Foundation’s website.