Pro2Pro is an online resource center dedicated to enriching the careers of licensed beauty professionals.
Warm It Up: 2 Curly Hair Color Transformationsfeaturing Clairol Professional
“Coloring curly hair has to be performed carefully,” says Toni. “Going ‘slow and low’ (slow by processing color without heat and adding more color over time, and low by using lower volume developers) is how I approach every color process on curly hair to ensure that I protect integrity of the hair and the curl pattern.”
To achieve the gorgeous (and healthy!) hair on her two clients, Toni used Clairol Professional’s Beautiful Collection and Jazzing Collection, along with Clairol Professional lighteners.
“The Beautiful Collection gives incredible shine to curly hair that is often moisture-deprived to begin with,” says Toni. “I also used Clairol Professional’s Shimmer Lights Plex Lightener because it strengthens the hair from the inside out with the Plex technology for up to 97% less breakage, which is ideal for curly hair since it is more prone to breakage by the nature of the curl pattern.” Ready to warm it up? Follow along below for Toni’s formulas and step-by-step!
Hand Painted Honey Blonde
Starting: Virgin level 5
Formula A (sides): Shimmer Lights Plex Lightener + Shimmer Lights Cream Developer 10-volume (1:1.5)
Formula B (back): Shimmer Lights Plex Lightener + Shimmer Lights Cream Developer 20-volume (1:1.5)
Formula C: Clairol Professional Beautiful Collection B33W Honey Blonde + B12D Medium Ash Brown (2:1)
Formula D: Clairol Professional Beautiful Collection B30W 14K Gold
1. Apply Formula A in diagonal back sections on the front and sides using a hand painting technique. Switch to Formula B in the back.
2. Process for 50 minutes. Rinse the front first, then the back.
4. Randomly section, and alternate applying Formulas C and D to pre-lightened sections. Pro tip: leave out the ends on a select few slices for added dimension and interest.
5. Process for 25 minutes, then rinse with cool water and style as desired!
Gold and Ginger Spice
Starting level: Virgin level 3
Formula A (back and sides): Clairol Professional BW2 Powder Lightener + 10 volume developer (1:1.5)
Formula B (front): Clairol Professional BW2 Powder Lightener + 20 volume developer (1:1.5)
Formula C: Clairol Professional Jazzing in 30 Spiced Cognac
1. Using foils and a medium weave, apply Formula A in diagonal back sections just to the ends (no need to take it all the way up to the scalp since the hair is curly and will spring up). Make sure subsections aren’t too thick so the lightener can process evenly.
2. Apply Formula B in the front using the same technique.
3. Process for 50 minutes. Shampoo and condition.
4. Apply Formula C at the bowl all over. Process for 25 minutes, then rinse and style!